13 November 2008

ALL MAVERICK-Y


There's nothing like getting married, an historic election, and a mind-blowing dinner at Chez Panisse to get me back on the blog.
Hello my friends!
So it's true I'm married, and far from the lonely toothless life I had envisioned.

I've been back in the kitchen whipping up stuff like these easy-breezy Honey Glazed Carrots and Parsnips, and Pork Chops with Mustard Sauce.



But enough about that, let's talk about our (me and the hubbles) culinary extravaganza in the Gourmet Ghetto with our also-married friends Lisa and Nima.

The atmosphere was chillaxed as we settled in for the fixed four-course menu, and were greeted with a dish of superlative olives. I mean, they were "just" olives but every morsel at Chez Panisse seems to be elevated to a magical *this-is-the-best-thing-I've-ever-tasted* quality. And the hits kept coming.

First: warm frisee salad with artichokes, pancetta and egg...perfect.
Second: lobster soup with leeks and peas...sublime.
Third: grilled quail with green beans, wild mushrooms and roasted potatoes...may I have another.
Finale: apple and quince tart with buttermilk ice cream...who knew about buttermilk ice cream? Sold.

Alice Waters -- the O.G. of sustainability and farm to table dining -- even made an appearance, and I got all starstruck and tingly.
It was like my 10th birthday at the Rick Springfield concert all over again.
Alice Waters is Jessie's Girl!

Love,
Wifey Fagan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your best post by far!

Anonymous said...

i wish that i had jessie's girl -- or a dinner at chez panisse.

good thing you can't see my drool as it hits the keyboard.